Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JDFAQBot

Interlux Boat Painting Guide : How can I thin the bottom paint?

3 posts in this topic

Except for the first coat on bare wood, Thinning is not advised. Special Thinner 216 can be used, but not with all bottom paints. It can also be used as equipment cleaner. To insure the proper thinner, however, consult the label on the can of the particular paint you intend to use. Good luck,Les

Just a suggestion! Different paints require some specific reducers. Ask Jamestown to send you the Interlux Boat Painting Guide or give them a call. I have found them to be more than helpful and full of good advice.

Thinning bottom paint is not a good idea. It is formulated with the right percentages of certain solids including the metals that serve to prevent fouling of your hull. Bottom paint solvents are quick drying and on especially hot and dry and windy conditions you may have a hard time rolling or brushing it because the paint is drying too quick. In such a case it is OK to add a bit of Special Thinner 216 (not more than 10 percent according to the Interlux Painting Guide) but don't overdo it. It may be necessary to add a little bit of thinner a couple of times as you work your way around the hull.One thing to be careful of is that these paints have a very high solid content and mixing them takes some dedicated effort and time to get the solids uniformly distributed in the solvent. I always use a separate bucket and pour a bit of the paint into the second bucket and pour mixed paint back and forth between the buckets until I have it well mixed.