• Announcements

• skiptabor

The future of the JD Forum   07/31/18

Thank you all for your participation on the JD Forums.  We have enjoyed answering your questions, providing project advice and technical assistance on this forum for a number of years. We believe that there are now better ways to provide this service for our customers and the community. With that in mind, we have made the difficult decision to discontinue the Jamestown Distributors Forum.   Our JD Tech Team is committed to being your trusted technical resource, and we encourage you to reach out via email, phone, social, product reviews, and to post questions using the Q & A 'Ask A Question' function on all product pages. Additional information can also be found on product page Technical Data Sheets (including detailed usage instructions and application data).   Thank You Jamestown Distributors 
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JDFAQBot

Seaward Water Heaters : How long does Seaward F1100 take to get hot water by using engine only, while engine idling? Which can it get more high temperature, using engine or electric?

3 posts in this topic

I haven't hooked ours to the engine as of this date, but idling diesels do not tend to warm up. They have to run at higher RPM's under load[like moving through the water]. Every installation is different. We've had three other sail boats with engine loops, can't remember trying to heat water at idle speed. The water will get hotter using the engine over the 120vt. electric. My seaward has an adjustable thermostat, so I set the temp. up a little so the hot water lasts longer for showering. The stat. only regulates the 120vt.AC circuit. Some of the move expensive water heaters have adjustable stats for the engine loop. Our friends at our marina have a 06 Hunter 45' with adjustable temp. for the engine loop.

I haven't hooked ours to the engine as of this date, but idling diesels do not tend to warm up. They have to run at higher RPM's under load[like moving through the water]. Every installation is different. We've had three other sail boats with engine loops, can't remember trying to heat water at idle speed. The water will get hotter using the engine over the 120vt. electric. My seaward has an adjustable thermostat, so I set the temp. up a little so the hot water lasts longer for showering. The stat. only regulates the 120vt.AC circuit. Some of the move expensive water heaters have adjustable stats for the engine loop. Our friends at our marina have a 06 Hunter 45' with adjustable temp. for the engine loop.

Hi Robert, Thank you very much for your advise. Since I have Westerbeke 42ph on my Catalina 40 sailboat. With this such a small engine, I guess takes forever to get hot water, useing engine idling speed.Once again, Thank you very much for your reply.Best regards, Akio Hiraiwa

I haven't hook my to the engines yet, you'll need a heater exchanger unit on your engine to be able to do that, but I heard it works great, any way unless you have an on board generator it might be the only way to do it

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0