• Announcements

• skiptabor

The future of the JD Forum   07/31/18

Thank you all for your participation on the JD Forums.  We have enjoyed answering your questions, providing project advice and technical assistance on this forum for a number of years. We believe that there are now better ways to provide this service for our customers and the community. With that in mind, we have made the difficult decision to discontinue the Jamestown Distributors Forum.   Our JD Tech Team is committed to being your trusted technical resource, and we encourage you to reach out via email, phone, social, product reviews, and to post questions using the Q & A 'Ask A Question' function on all product pages. Additional information can also be found on product page Technical Data Sheets (including detailed usage instructions and application data).   Thank You Jamestown Distributors 
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JDFAQBot

Soundown Composite Insulation Vinyl/Foam Sheets : what is the best way to attatch insulation to to walls/ceiling?

3 posts in this topic

I used spray on adhesive, I believe it was from 3M. You can find it in a auto supply store. Use it liberally on the surface you want to attach the sound insulation to. Make sure the surface is clean.

On my boat the insulation is hung on 1/2" plywood - the insulation is held on by screws with huge washers driven through the insulation into the plywood. I've also seen it done with spikes glued to the wall that the insulation gets pressed onto, then little caps that lock onto the end of the spikes where they push through the insulation to keep it attached - this is how it's done on metal.

HALFASTERN likes this

I have attached the 1-1/2" IVF1015MN onto plywood. I used 3M #74 Foam Fast contact cement on both surfaces, then used screws as well. Because of the dense vinyl layer and because the foam catches in the threads it is best to punch a hole with a 1/4" hollow punch, then drive the stainless 10 x 2" pan head sheet metal screw lightly into the wood. The foam doesn't get all twisted around the screw this way. I also made some 1x1 aluminum washers although fender washers would work too. Spaced the screws about 12-15". Although the glue really sticks well, over time, and in the heat of the engine room, I wanted to be sure, thus the screws.I do not believe the aluminum pins they sell would work well, because it would make the initial placement of the panel very tricky. Also we taped the edges with the 4" Mylar tape before installing. Not too difficult actually.

HALFASTERN likes this

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0