Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JDFAQBot

Waveblade Power Barnacle Remover : Can this be used to also remove barnacles from my dock and seawall?

7 posts in this topic

Hey Bob,The Waveblade works great on all of the hard surfaces on my boat without any damage...even bottom paint.I'm not sure what your dock and seawall are contructed of...but if it is not a hard surface, I wonder if the occilating action of the Waveblade may "dig" into softer surfaces like wood.Hope this helps!Steve.

no. this is why. the wave blade works, with barnacles up to about 1". It's ability to vibrate the barnacle off the surface depends on the surface. the videos shown in the product demonstration are of a hull that has bottom paint applied. bottom paint inhibits the barnacle from anchoring. It makes a big difference. My boat didn't have bottom paint, only a barrier coat of epoxy. thick epoxy. It worked on the ones that were small pretty well. Up to about 3/4" it would cause them to come off, but leave a footprint so to speak. It didn't happen fast, like in the video. It's harder to use the product when you are floating in the water next to the hull, with waves lapping and sharp barnacles. Plus you have to let it cool down every thirty minutes. I didn't clean that much in thirty minutes. I think it is mainly intended to be use dry dock, or by a diver with air, and assuming the surface is a coat of bottom paint.

Actually, I haven't used it yet because my planned haulout was delayed while I completed some topside painting. However, having watched a demo and from the manual, the answer would depend on how rough the surface is. The action depends on a relatively smooth surface like a hull or shaft under the growth otherwise the blade could dig into cracks or catch and be damaged. If the seawall is one of the composite plastic type, it seems to be feasible. If rough wood or concrete I think you're going to risk damaging the blade since the instructions and demo are explicit to let the blade do the work and not push hard on it. be happy to send an update in about a month after my hauloutNick Richards (Christy's husband)

Bob-I would guess that the wave blade would work on pilings and seawalls just can't imagine why you would use it for that when a long handle floor scrapper would work saving ur waveblade wear and tear. It is by far the best hull barnicle remover I've ever used. I love mine and treat it like gold, using it on pilings and seawalls to me would keep me awake at night.

I am interested in buying my husband a Waveblade barnacle remover for Father's Day. The problem is, is that it comes with a 45' cord to insert into your car lighter. Our boat is farther than 45 ft. from our car. Is there an adapter with a long cord that we could plug the Waveblade cord into, to give us the distance needed to reach the boat? I know they sell a battery charged Waveblade but it is too expensive. I asked at a hardware store and they didn't know of one. Any ideas? Thanks- Suz

You could get a coiled extension cord part # SCP15051 that is 10' long. a better solution would be to add a Socket fitting on the boat connected to the 12volt system part # SCP-15011.