• Announcements

• skiptabor

The future of the JD Forum   07/31/18

Thank you all for your participation on the JD Forums.  We have enjoyed answering your questions, providing project advice and technical assistance on this forum for a number of years. We believe that there are now better ways to provide this service for our customers and the community. With that in mind, we have made the difficult decision to discontinue the Jamestown Distributors Forum.   Our JD Tech Team is committed to being your trusted technical resource, and we encourage you to reach out via email, phone, social, product reviews, and to post questions using the Q & A 'Ask A Question' function on all product pages. Additional information can also be found on product page Technical Data Sheets (including detailed usage instructions and application data).   Thank You Jamestown Distributors 
dktyson

Total boat wet edge

5 posts in this topic

I used Total Boat Wet Edge polyurethane Hatteras off-white on the topsides of the 18' open boat I am building and am extremely pleased with the results.

I'm using the same paint on the interior where the need for a mirror shine does not exist- Is there a "flatting" agent I can add to this paint so that I can do a couple coats at a time without sanding between coats?  Sanding the shine off this complicated interior multiple times is a daunting prospect.  

I plan to paint over Interlux prekote primer.

You can add a flattening agent designed for one part paints, the one Interlux offers for their Brightside paints is compatible. I know they are working on adding additional colors in the flat, but no ETA at this point.

You could add Interlux flattening agent our part # INT-YMA715Q.

Would I get good adhesion of subsequent coats without sanding if I add enough to get a flat finish?  I'm only speaking of adhesion, not the quality of the finish.

I know sanding between coats will give the best looking final result, I'm only asking about adhesion here. Thanks.

The flattening agent will only effect the finish appearance, not the adhesion.  You will get the best adhesion by sanding fully cured paint in order to give the next coat a little tooth to adhere to the previous coat.  Some paints you can overcoat when the paint is dry to touch but leaves a thumb print (without getting paint on your thumb and it leaves a thumb print in the paint).  This works if the thickness is not heavy because sometimes with a heavy coat the solvents flash off on the surface curing that but not below that surface layer.  If you are going to overcoat before it's fully cured, be sure to do light coats rather than thick heavy coats.