• Announcements

• skiptabor

The future of the JD Forum   07/31/18

Thank you all for your participation on the JD Forums.  We have enjoyed answering your questions, providing project advice and technical assistance on this forum for a number of years. We believe that there are now better ways to provide this service for our customers and the community. With that in mind, we have made the difficult decision to discontinue the Jamestown Distributors Forum.   Our JD Tech Team is committed to being your trusted technical resource, and we encourage you to reach out via email, phone, social, product reviews, and to post questions using the Q & A 'Ask A Question' function on all product pages. Additional information can also be found on product page Technical Data Sheets (including detailed usage instructions and application data).   Thank You Jamestown Distributors 
Dp1371

Marine toilet woes

5 posts in this topic

Just bought a 34ft sailboat and the manual head has significant back flow into the bowl even switched to intake at the valve. Holding tank pumped clean and level with head or a little lower. Is the two way valve the issue or is some other issue the prob?

It sounds like a blockage in the hose or a problem with the Y valve.  When you say back flow into the bowl, is it when you try to pump into the tank and are unable to pump?

You didn't mention the brand of toilet . Some,like the groco h and k models have a duck valve in the out flow line . If it has gotten hard or plugged they can't collapse to prevent the water from back flowing. There is nothing in a y valve to prevent back flow.

You are correct, the manual toilets use a joker or duck bill valve on the outflow line.  There are usually rebuild kits including that valve depending on the model toilet you have.  It would be worth replacing that.

I imagine since you most likely bought an older boat with a bad joker valve, follow the presciption above with one addition. The repair kit addresses the head dc but you will soon experience odor from the hoses. And if my 87 Pearson with two new heads is any indication of what you will eventually experience, I.e., anoher clogged joker valve along with boat odor after extended stays away, and

permeating affluent inside the hoses as well as caked-on affluent on the sides and bottom of your head. And you might do as many do and keep feeding your head with all kinds of deodorants and natural ingredients that will overcome or even eliminate these noxious fumes. Go online to search "Happy Camper" and see their product that is NOT the Extreme but the original. All my hoses and my heads and my tanks are now treated with this product inpowder form when I get the boat ready in April for the summer and before I leave the boat in November. I lived with a cracked forward head tank for the first 4 yrs. of ownership, llast year had it removed to repair and it was as clean as if new with no odor from the hoses leading to it. I was not only about to replace all my hoses but was going to buy a new head. The hoses would cost me more than a new head! So I and many others with holding tanks in boats, rv campers, cabins, etc. ought to be aware of this product because it really did the job totally for me. It made a happy camper out of me! Good luck with yours.

Yes Dear