• Announcements

• skiptabor

The future of the JD Forum   07/31/18

Thank you all for your participation on the JD Forums.  We have enjoyed answering your questions, providing project advice and technical assistance on this forum for a number of years. We believe that there are now better ways to provide this service for our customers and the community. With that in mind, we have made the difficult decision to discontinue the Jamestown Distributors Forum.   Our JD Tech Team is committed to being your trusted technical resource, and we encourage you to reach out via email, phone, social, product reviews, and to post questions using the Q & A 'Ask A Question' function on all product pages. Additional information can also be found on product page Technical Data Sheets (including detailed usage instructions and application data).   Thank You Jamestown Distributors 
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
littleotterboy

Sealing wood on a.....

6 posts in this topic

This was going to sound strange, but found this site on Fine Woodworking. My question is I am wanting to seal wood on the beams and inside construction of a billiards table. The wood is hardwood and is unsealed or unfinished on the beams and inside construction. My objective is to help reduce the movement of the wood and to help prevent moisture absorption in the wood. The beams and inside construction will be unseen and the only concern is that the wood is sealed well and has absorbed the sealer well. I have read that a marine varnish wood sealer is one of the best ways to seal wood and just want advice or any suggestions on this subject.

I'm not familiar with your application, but my suggestion would be to call some of your local billiards table dealers and ask their technicians what they recommend. There may be special products and procedures which we would not be aware of.

That said, if I wanted to seal wood from moisture on a boat, then I would use a spar varnish (like Interlux Schooner Varnish) and apply two coats. The first coat should be thinned with 333 brushing thinner; about 15% thinner by volume. The second coat should also be thinned but more like 10% or less.

Everyone I talk to in the billiard industry gives me a different answer. I have asked other billiard players and they suggest just using a wood sealer like Pettit EZ sealer. Is there a difference between using a wood sealer and thinning spar varnish. The beams and inside construction will not be in any sunlight and not really worried about UV protection. Is the Pettit brand good brand? 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0