• Announcements

• skiptabor

The future of the JD Forum   07/31/18

Thank you all for your participation on the JD Forums.  We have enjoyed answering your questions, providing project advice and technical assistance on this forum for a number of years. We believe that there are now better ways to provide this service for our customers and the community. With that in mind, we have made the difficult decision to discontinue the Jamestown Distributors Forum.   Our JD Tech Team is committed to being your trusted technical resource, and we encourage you to reach out via email, phone, social, product reviews, and to post questions using the Q & A 'Ask A Question' function on all product pages. Additional information can also be found on product page Technical Data Sheets (including detailed usage instructions and application data).   Thank You Jamestown Distributors 
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
drcoastline

HVLP turbine sytem

4 posts in this topic

Good morning everyone,

This is my first post. My wife and I recently purchased the 1958 Trumpy 53' motor yacht Broadview. Over all she is in solid mechanical and structural condition. Unfortunately she was not maintained cosmetically. The previous owner decided it was easier to take short cuts cosmetically rather than maintain her. Her beautiful mahogany interior has been painted over and her hull was poorly faired with Bondo. Yes, Automotive Bondo and painted the hull with what appears to be latex paint. Over the next several years we will be brining her back to hopefully Bristol condition. One of my first projects will be to strip the hull remove the bondo and properly fair, prime and paint the hull. I have not decided on a pint system yet. Bright sides, Perfection, Total boat, or any of the others available. At this time I am interested in spraying her hull. I am looking into HVLP systems. Turbinaire, Apollo, etc.

From my research I think I have decided on a minimum system of 4 stages. But that is about as far as I have gotten. Can anyone help me determine what might be the best all around system to spray primer, paint (bright side, Perfection, laquer) even automotive.

I estimate that each side of the boat is roughly 424 sq. ft. (53x8). That would be the maximum area at a time to be sprayed at any one time.

Thanks for any input.

Donovan

Donovan,

That is a Great Boat, congratulations.  Interlux Perfection is the hardest finish of the paints you mentioned.  It requires their Interlux Epoxy Primekote primer.  They are both two part paints.  The Brightside is a single part urethane as is the Wet Edge.  They would use their respective primers, both single part.

Hi Rick,

Thank you. I must agree she is a great boat. I am looking forward to the next few years of getting her back into shape. Any thoughts on an HVLP system?

The Turbinaire and Apollo are both good guns.  I'd also look at the 3M Accuspray Spray Gun HG14 and HG09 which using their PPS system allows the gravity feed guns to spray upside down and is easy to measure and clean-up is a breeze.  3M PPS Paint Preparation System - Large Cup Lid and Liner 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0