10 posts in this topic

i am wondering if sea hawk sharkskin gel coat would be the best gel coat for applying multiple coats of gelcoat. i am also wondering if anyone else knows any other brands that work good for regelcoating an entire boat. My boat is a fiberglass boat if this is necessary for selecting gel coat.

Sea Hawk has a gel coat in various colors, I don't see a sharkskin.  Sharkskin is their bottom paint.  You would apply the gel coat without wax on the build up coats and put the wax in the last coat in order to cure it.

It doesn't matter what brand gel coat you use, they are all polyester resins and can be used both above the waterline and below.  You will need to do more than two coats in order to get 20 mils.  If spraying it needs to go on very thin.  Even if rolling and tipping, you will need to apply thin in order not to leave roller/brush marks.  Many thin coats are better than thick coats.

In all but the last coat you want to mix the gel coat without wax so they will stay tacky for the next coat to adhere.  When rolling, roll out in one direction moving the gel coat out so it is very thin, and tip in the other direction.  Then next coat roll in the opposite direction as the previous.  This will fill in any lines from the previous coat so you hopefully end up with a smooth finish.  You will probably need to do 4 or 5 coats to end up with 20 mils.

hey chris you can also do this,the surface must be dry and free of any debris, and as smooth as possible and the final gel coat layer will look only as smooth as the original surface was. Remove all paint, grease, oil, dirt or wax and sand only affected area with coarse grit abrasive. Wipe area clean with acetone and allow  to dry sufficiently.