• Announcements

• skiptabor

The future of the JD Forum   07/31/18

Thank you all for your participation on the JD Forums.  We have enjoyed answering your questions, providing project advice and technical assistance on this forum for a number of years. We believe that there are now better ways to provide this service for our customers and the community. With that in mind, we have made the difficult decision to discontinue the Jamestown Distributors Forum.   Our JD Tech Team is committed to being your trusted technical resource, and we encourage you to reach out via email, phone, social, product reviews, and to post questions using the Q & A 'Ask A Question' function on all product pages. Additional information can also be found on product page Technical Data Sheets (including detailed usage instructions and application data).   Thank You Jamestown Distributors 
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Tommie Head

Teleflex NFB 4.2 (I think)

4 posts in this topic

Visual inspection it looks like the NFB 4.2.  A pamphlet that came with the boat papers says it has Teleflex NFB steering.  The boat is 2010 NauticStar w/115 Yamaha 4 stroke.  Steering stopped working, freewheels.  I can turn the motor by hand, not froze up.  It looks like I can loosen screws and remove the cable and just replace the helm.  Is this possible or do I have to replace helm and cable?

It looks like the Teleflex No Feedback 4.2 System uses a  TEL SSC62XX helical cable assembly.  The XX in the part number is the length. You can buy just the cable alone and you can buy just the helm unit alone part # TEL-SH4910P.

So, I should be able to loosen the top two bolts on the starboard side and the one bolt on the bottom starboard side and remove the cable from the helm.  Once that is done I should be able to tell if the helm is at fault or if the cable is broke between the helm and the motor.  Correct?

If the cable moves when you move the motor, that would indicate that the cable is OK and the helm unit is the problem.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0