• Announcements

• skiptabor

The future of the JD Forum   07/31/18

Thank you all for your participation on the JD Forums.  We have enjoyed answering your questions, providing project advice and technical assistance on this forum for a number of years. We believe that there are now better ways to provide this service for our customers and the community. With that in mind, we have made the difficult decision to discontinue the Jamestown Distributors Forum.   Our JD Tech Team is committed to being your trusted technical resource, and we encourage you to reach out via email, phone, social, product reviews, and to post questions using the Q & A 'Ask A Question' function on all product pages. Additional information can also be found on product page Technical Data Sheets (including detailed usage instructions and application data).   Thank You Jamestown Distributors 
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
modela

Best finish for outdoor wood

4 posts in this topic

I have been refinishing benches in the woods for a non-profit arboretum.  I saw an article on youtube that used a mix of 30% spar urethane and 70% teak oil.  I have typically used CPES as a sealer.  My questions are:

1.  Will the CPES work as a base before applying the teak 0il/varnish finish?

2. Are all teak oil finishes the same?

3.  What finish would you recommend for continually exposed fir, white oak, yew, and other woods.

Thank you in advance.  

James Marshall

1.  Will the CPES work as a base before applying the teak 0il/varnish finish?   Yes that will seal the wood.

2. Are all teak oil finishes the same?   No, I would think they are referring to a straight teak oil like Star Brite Teak Oil or Amazon Teak Oil.

3.  What finish would you recommend for continually exposed fir, white oak, yew, and other woods.  The spar urethane or spar varnish will work, 5 to 7 coats for longest life of the finish.

Thank you for the information.  

I purchased Epifanes Varnish and CPES from you previously and used it on my cherry front door.  That was three years ago and it is standing up fine so far.  It does have some protection, but the old finish had failed a long time ago.

I notice that your new epoxy sealer is low VOC.  Is it as effective as the Smith's.

Jim

Yes, the Totalboat Penetrating Epoxy is a replacement for the Smiths.  We developed this to eliminate the high VOC's and still be a penetrating epoxy.  It is a little thicker and a 2 to 1 mix ratio and can be thinned with acetone if needed for better penetration.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0