• Announcements

• skiptabor

The future of the JD Forum   07/31/18

Thank you all for your participation on the JD Forums.  We have enjoyed answering your questions, providing project advice and technical assistance on this forum for a number of years. We believe that there are now better ways to provide this service for our customers and the community. With that in mind, we have made the difficult decision to discontinue the Jamestown Distributors Forum.   Our JD Tech Team is committed to being your trusted technical resource, and we encourage you to reach out via email, phone, social, product reviews, and to post questions using the Q & A 'Ask A Question' function on all product pages. Additional information can also be found on product page Technical Data Sheets (including detailed usage instructions and application data).   Thank You Jamestown Distributors 
timr

Mounting Schaeffer T-Track

5 posts in this topic

I need to mount standard Schaeffer T-Track on my deck. Track length is a 10' straight length with 5/16" mounting holes. The deck material is 1-1/4" thick marine plywood with an epoxy overlay and a synthetic teak deck. I will be using standard 5/16" flat head stainless steel bolts with large diameter washers on the underside for backing, and nuts. My questions are: 1)

What  adhesive / sealant would you suggest? Sikaflex 291 or? 2) should I apply the adhesive / sealant to the whole underside of the track, or strictly around the mounting bolts? Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

What is the synthetic teak deck made from? Is it strong enough to accept the load from the mainsail? I would use backing plates under the deck rather than just washers especially at the ends of the track and at the midship point. You could run a teak trim piece under the track on deck to spread the load and for insurance  run a bead of Sik 295uv under both the teak and the track.

It's NuTeak (PVC). I'm confident in the strength of the deck, The boat was is a Bruce Farr design cold molded hull built in 1982 with teak screwed to plywood for the deck. I completely removed the decks and replaced them to eliminate leaks. Their is planking under the plywood running the length of the track for strength. My real question is on the proper use of adhesive / sealant. Where to put it, around each hole? whole length of the track? What is the best to use?

Sikaflex 291 is a good bedding caulk to seal out water.  If the bolts are spaced close together (within 3"), I'd apply sealant to the bottom of the track and also in the bolt hole.