• Announcements

• skiptabor

The future of the JD Forum   07/31/18

Thank you all for your participation on the JD Forums.  We have enjoyed answering your questions, providing project advice and technical assistance on this forum for a number of years. We believe that there are now better ways to provide this service for our customers and the community. With that in mind, we have made the difficult decision to discontinue the Jamestown Distributors Forum.   Our JD Tech Team is committed to being your trusted technical resource, and we encourage you to reach out via email, phone, social, product reviews, and to post questions using the Q & A 'Ask A Question' function on all product pages. Additional information can also be found on product page Technical Data Sheets (including detailed usage instructions and application data).   Thank You Jamestown Distributors 
GaryL

Where to get gelcoat done?

5 posts in this topic

I am in the process of restoring a very nice 1974 Boston Whaler Montauk and hit a brick wall. I can't locate a shop that will spray the gelcoat now that I have all the prep work done. I have the equipment to do it myself and last summer I sprayed the optional forward fishing platform with rather poor results because I don't have an enclosed shop to work in. Bugs, grass clippings and all sorts of debris ended up ruining my work.

I am located in NY and in the Hudson Valley about an hour from Newburgh and the Hudson river.

My Montauk is in great shape with all the parts and pieces ready to go back in once I get the gelcoat done. I have the gelcoat and tint agent for the desert tan color.

GaryL

Check your local Craigslist for an independent contractor willing to use your materials...If you go to a Pro Shop like New England Fiberglass in CT, they would probably not want to use your materials.

Thanks Halfastern. I can certainly appreciate a pro shop not using my materials. I would be interested in hearing what kind of cost I might be up against at a shop such as NE Fiberglass if you or anyone else has ever had a hull gel coated like this. It is a 17 foot Montauk and the existing GC is in fairly decent condition except for the areas where I have made repairs of chips and dings and where the boat had been beached on sand and pebbles and rubbed the keel.

I have a suspicion that the cost to get it professionally gel coated would be more than the value of the boat when it is done.

GaryL

Gary, i am kind of in the same situation with getting my 1970's Mako cleaned up. I am thinking that i will not re-do gelcoat, but instead just use something like the total boat "wet edge" product and roll/brush it on myself. Hopefully it will dry much faster than a spray on gel coat and will leave a nice looking finish when i am done. i was planning to use some marine bondo filler to cover up any cracks, then sand it down smooth, prime the whole boat with total boat primer then paint on the top coat.

I am also worried that the money i put into the boat will end up over what the boat is worth, but i guess i am not planning to sell it any time soon so it is more an investment for myself to have a nice looking classic Mako. 

-steve

Yes Steve. I have considered this option like you. It just seems a shame to cover over 90% of the good GC just to blend in the areas where I had to repair chips and dings. Except for those repaired spots I am sure I could buff and polish the entire hull and have it looking great with the 40 year old GC on it. Matching the GC color around the patched areas is what I am unsure of and this would likely take a fellow with the real knowledge of gel coating.

Gary