Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Santas212

PVC boards and Azek

3 posts in this topic

Hi,

Does anyone have experience using PVC boards or Azek brand boards for their vessels?

I have been using it for house/window trim for a while and love it for its stain resistance, UV resistance, and it is a rot proof material.

I have used a few pieces of it to replace missing hatch covers on my Mako 17' which have held up well over the past two years and stay looking very bright, a little shot of bleach takes off any mildew after the winter very quickly.

I am looking to replace the old plastic panels which had been supporting underneath my center console. This old style plastic board was used to cover over the gas tank hole so that the console, slightly smaller, would fit over it. There is about 2" on the sides and 5" in front of the console that needs to be filled for the console to mount on. The old plastic that was used was worn down by the sun almost 3/16ths of an inch from what it used to be and it had become very brittle. 

I was going to trim out around the gas tank opening in the deck to re-mount the console on top. I was planning to use a few PVC boards from Lowes. I know it will go in easily and will cut nice, and route nice, and i usually use standard PVC cement to weld the pieces together.

My questions are:

Why haven't i heard of anyone else using this product on their boats? is there a problem with it i don't know about?

When i go to paint the deck next year i was thinking of painting over the PVC boards as well to make them the same color as the boat, what primer would be recommended to go over this so that i can apply a top coat of Total Boat wet edge flat white? 

thanks

-steve 

Santas212 likes this

Yes. I've used it, I've sanded it to give the edges a smooth finish like the rest. I've also gelcoated it for an electronics mount. and, I made a bunch of the drink holders you often see made out of the, more expensive, starboard. All seem to work well, and clean up with a little bleach each year. In some applications it's not as stiff as the starboard so it needs support, but otherwise it's fine.

Pvc board would work in your application, it's just not as stiff as starboard.  Most paints don't adhere well to pvc, there is a product; Flexabar PVC and Inflatable Buoy Paint made for pvc buoys that would probably work well if you need to paint it.