Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Santas212

Old mako with weak floor, is it as bad as it looks?

3 posts in this topic

Wasn't sure where to post this question, but it seems to fit best under the decking materials forum.

I have a 1970's mako that i have owned about 3 years. It isnt in terrible shape but it is definitely showing its age. I wanted to do a whole paint job and get it looking great again, but before i did that i need to make sure it is sound for a good few years first.

The issue is, when the boat sits on its trailer for the winter the sections of the deck right around the center console of the boat begin to lift up about 1" It is a very subtle curve in the deck which you can only really tell by getting close to look at it. There is no cracking or splitting of the deck, it just sags a bit when its been on the trailer. Putting it back in the water it flattens right out and becomes happy again.

Is this a normal amount of sag? or is it time to cut the whole deck and and replace/repair the stringers and supports and put a new deck in?

At what point should i really be concerned about the amount that the deck is lifting up when on the trailer?

It doesn't happen right away but within a few days on the trailer it starts to raise up.

Any input is appreciated

thanks

Steve 

It sounds like it's time to check the deck and stringers.  It shouldn't flex at all.  Could be water penetration into the core material which would need to be cut out and replaced.