Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TerryS

Total Boat Varnish

6 posts in this topic

I'm having a problem with this product, using foam brushes.

I have always used Captains, but thought I'd give Total Boat Lust a try, so I order a pint kit to try it out.

Using a brand new foam brush, there is a blackish contanmination apparent in the applied varnish. I tried a test piece with the same brand of new brush, and Captains, with no discoloration. I'll give Total Boat another try with a badger hair brush, but so far, I'm dissapointed. I have to strip the pieces I've just coated.

Lust is a fast drying varnish which contains more solvents than Captains.  Most foam brushes are not compatible with certain solvents, shellac and lacquer thinner.  I'm sure it will be fine with a clean badger hair brush.

Thanks, Rick. I haven't had a chaance this morning to try Lust with a brush, but this topic begs the question; why do you supply black foam brushes in the LUST kit?

Hi Terry,  I've just used some Lust, and have the same question - why supply the foam brushes with it if they cause a problem.  I almost used one, but had another brush handy. 

thanks,

Al

Mystery solved, we learned that some lust product had a problem with the mix.  It contained cobalt particles so those little specs you've seen may not be the foam brush supplied.  You can call to see if the can you have is in that batch which we will replace.  The color in the can has a purple tint but when applied dries clear.  If you see very tiny particles in the bottom of the can, please call to return it for replacement.