Petsdoc

Dockside impact of ablative paints

2 posts in this topic

I sail a 14 ft. fiberglass hull sailboat in fresh water. It is docked in 4 ft. of water in a 120 acre lake in NE PA. The boat spends a lot of time tied to the dock. We catch sunfish and crappies from the dock, and occasionally my grandsons consume these fish. My concern is that ablative compounds settle to where the foraging fish eat, and may be toxic in some way. Ive never needed bottom paint before, but there are finally tiny blisters in the gelcoat, so I think I may need to do something soon. Is my concern about toxicity off base?

Petsdoc likes this

I agree that regular antifouling paint with cuprous oxide is toxic.  If you want an environmentally friendly paint take a look at Totalboat Krypton or Pettit Hydrocoat ECO which eliminate the copper and use econea as the biocide which is a pharmaceutical product that is much more effective than copper at just 1 tenth the volume and breaks down quickly in the environment.  

The blisters will need to be ground out, dried out, and repaired with an epoxy filler.  You could then sand and apply another coat of gel coat eliminating any bottom paint, or prime with an epoxy barrier coat, and then use one of the bottom paints mentioned.