waterbaby

PINHOLES ARRGGH!

5 posts in this topic

I'm restoring and modifying a 1973  Glastron, it is almost complete. The problem I'm running into now that it is almost compete is PINHOLES, lots of them. The paint job looked pretty good at first, then the nightmare began.
In the process of modifying the boat I had to grind off the gelcoat in quite a few places. This left raw fiberglass showing with a zillion little pinholes. I thought I had them all fixed until I painted it. Every pinhole of course created a tiny bubble. (Have you heard this before?) I have read about the “pinhole dance” and I don't want to do it.
Searching the 'net got the answer of coating them with epoxy thickened with cabosil. This seems counter-intuitive, it seems the epoxy would need to be thin to flow into the pinholes.
What is the best way to seal the pinholes? Epoxy or primer, thick or thin or is there a better method?
TIA

You will need to sand the paint off.  Use an epoxy fairing compound like Total Fair or thickened epoxy with silica or West System 410 microlight filler.  Apply and sand to fair in and smooth, then use a primer, then the top coat.

Thanks for the reply! I still want to put thin epoxy in the pinholes but this makes 2 saying to use thickened epoxy so I'm now sure you're correct.

I suggest that after sanding the paint off, that you coat the raw fiberglass with a single coat of 5-1 TotalBoat epoxy. Use a foam roller. Thin it slightly to enhance penetration. This will soak into the glass and seal it as well as making a sound foundation for the TotalFair. Roll off any excess epoxy, since drips will only create more work for you. Sand lightly to abrade the surface before applying TotalFair. Then follow the rest of the steps as Rick outlines.