• Announcements

• skiptabor

The future of the JD Forum   07/31/18

Thank you all for your participation on the JD Forums.  We have enjoyed answering your questions, providing project advice and technical assistance on this forum for a number of years. We believe that there are now better ways to provide this service for our customers and the community. With that in mind, we have made the difficult decision to discontinue the Jamestown Distributors Forum.   Our JD Tech Team is committed to being your trusted technical resource, and we encourage you to reach out via email, phone, social, product reviews, and to post questions using the Q & A 'Ask A Question' function on all product pages. Additional information can also be found on product page Technical Data Sheets (including detailed usage instructions and application data).   Thank You Jamestown Distributors 
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Desert Rat

Cheap poly?

2 posts in this topic

Okay, spent all this time and money applying TotalBoat 5:1 epoxy to my plywood teardrop camper.  Washed it, sanded it. Applied 3 coats Helmsman Marine Spar.  It peeled within months.  Sanded it.  3 coats again.  Peeling again in less than a year.  Is the issue cheap poly, or am I not prepping the surface properly?  What product do you recommend?  Or, is  there something more durable than polyurethane that can stand the intense sun down here in the AZ desert and provide UV protection?

I would say it's the cheap poly that isn't holding up.  I'd recommend 5 to 6 coats of a marine spar varnish like Totalboat Gleam, or Epifanes Clear Gloss.  If you want to stick with a poly, I'd suggest Totalboat marine wood finish.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0