LS Peapod

Deck Treatment

3 posts in this topic

I have previously used a solution for decks on wooden boats consisting of boiled linseed oil, turpentine, and pine tar. I have heard that there is a similar solution that doesn't darken as much over time, that Jamestown Distributors sells, but I do not know the name of it. Any help?

Thanks

We do sell the components to make the homemade varnish:

JD Homemade Varnish Recipe: An Old Down East Deck Coating Formula

Used on wooden decks for schooners, fishing boats, and porch decks. Makes for an amber finish. To customize the mixture, add more pine tar for a darker color or add less for a lighter color. Allow more drying time for the darker mixture.

Turpentine 1 qt
Boiled Linseed Oil 1 qt
Pine Tar 1/2 pt
Japan Drier 1/2 pt

* Covers approximately 100 square feet.

If you are looking for something that doesn't darken over time, look at our spar varnishes, like Epifanes Clear Gloss Varnish, Captains Varnish, Totalboat Gleam, or Totalboat Lust varnishes.

That mixture is affectionately known as 'Skiff sauce'. I soak wooden belaying pins, parrel beads, wooden cleats (prior to installation) in it for days and then hang them to let them dry. Keep in mind that for some reason (pine tar component?) it does not look good on mahogany, color clash. I have experimented with different formulas and my own 'secret' recipe includes a smidgeon of Penetrol, and teak oil (StarBrite). I use it on wooden items that are better off oiled than varnished, so I don't consider it to be a substitute for varnishing.