• Announcements

• skiptabor

The future of the JD Forum   07/31/18

Thank you all for your participation on the JD Forums.  We have enjoyed answering your questions, providing project advice and technical assistance on this forum for a number of years. We believe that there are now better ways to provide this service for our customers and the community. With that in mind, we have made the difficult decision to discontinue the Jamestown Distributors Forum.   Our JD Tech Team is committed to being your trusted technical resource, and we encourage you to reach out via email, phone, social, product reviews, and to post questions using the Q & A 'Ask A Question' function on all product pages. Additional information can also be found on product page Technical Data Sheets (including detailed usage instructions and application data).   Thank You Jamestown Distributors 
Amaleo

saildrive protection

5 posts in this topic

In a Cruising World article, it was stated, " On drives that have already been submerged in salt water, another hidden enemy lurks: soluble salts, which are invisible and tasteless. These microscopic particles cause premature paint-system failure and must be cleaned away before any epoxy or paint is applied. The trouble is, these particles are difficult to clean off. In fact, a typical boatyard pressure washer won’t remove them. Yanmar, for example, recommends both a test kit and a biodegradable neutralizing wash made by Chlor-rid Corporation (www.chlor-rid.com). If you’re recoating a saildrive, this step is super important to ensure that the coating stays on the aluminum."  Chlor*Rid does not come in quantities that are useable for a saildrive application prior to applying an epoxy barrier except for a boatyard that does that work. Are there any other salt solvents available? One recommendation is sanding before the exp0oy starts to set up to assure adhesion. How about steam cleaning?

Today is the first day of spring and I am looking at starting the required maintenance work on my Tartan 3700 that has a Yanmar sail-drive. I also read the Yanmar article on the use of Chlor-Rid and am looking for an alternative. What are some options? I read somewhere about using Interlux Primocon then Trilux 33. Thanks.

I just coated my sail-drives with West System 422 barrier coat additive in epoxy, but do not take that as a recommendation. My boat is in a 3rd world country where nothing else was available. Que sera, sera.

We sell a Salt Terminator product that may help to remove salt and mineral deposits, here is the link:

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=11600

I would recommend priming first with a two part epoxy primer barrier coat like Totalboat Total Protect and then applying a copper free antifouling paint.