bellbuoys

Varnish over unknown old varnish

4 posts in this topic

I just bought an old Chris Craft that was refinished and then garage stored some years ago. I removed the vinyl boat name and there are "ghosts" left behind where the varnish was protected from the elements. My plan is to lightly sand (220 grit?) this  otherwise great finish and then recoat, but with what? I want an easy to apply varnish for this boat transom. Use a foam roller?

Thanks for any tips.

In order to remove the ghosts of the old name and get the entire transom to look the same you will need to remove all the old varnish down to bare wood.  Sand evenly and then apply new coats of varnish.  A good easy to use varnish is Totalboat Gleam or ZSpar Captains.  You can use a foam roller to apply and tip with a good varnish brush like a badger hair brush.  I doubt a light sanding and applying more varnish over the existing will eliminate where the old name was.

It depends on your preferences and skill level.  The lust tends to be a little thicker and dries very fast.  I just think Gleam is easier to use than Lust but both will work.