Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chad

Finishing Entry Doors

6 posts in this topic

What do you recommend for finishing a wood entry door that is exposed to the elements and to sun light?

Would you go with an Epifanes or Sikkens product?  or something else?

Thanks, Chad

I'd first recommend removing any old finish on the door and sealing it with our Totalboat Penetrating Epoxy.  Let that cure 3 - 4 days and then start the varnish coats.

The Epifanes Clear Gloss or Wood Finish Gloss are excellent products and will work well, probably better than Sikkens.

We also have some Totalboat Varnishes that are quick drying allowing 2 to 3 coats a day.  Look at Totalboat Gleam, which is an easy to use varnish, and Lust which is a fast dry varnish.  Thinning with our Thinner 100 allows them to flow better for a smoother coat.

Related question about finishing a new FIR Entry door.  My customer will want a stain color on the wood before I apply any TotalBoat.  What type of wood stain do you recommend?  Water, Alcohol, oil? Any special dry time involved? 

Thanks, Wooddude 

Edited by wooddude
wrong word

If you are going to seal with Totalboat Penetrating Epoxy, use an alcohol or water based stain, let it dry at least 5 days then apply the penetrating epoxy.  Be sure to do a test piece with the stain and epoxy first.  Try the Varathane water based stain.

Rick,

Thanks for the stain information.  Is the totalboat finish a clear coat, or does it have an amber cast?  If I do a sample for my customer, i would like to use a clear epoxy which I have in the shop currently. Then if we can get the correct color finish, we can then purchase the real stuff, Totalboat.

Thanks, Wooddude