Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Barry

Cabintop repair, Gel over epoxy.

3 posts in this topic

I've been rebuilding the cabin top area around the maststep on an S2 7.9 and things have been going smoothly until now. Applying gel coat over my epoxy repairs; gel went on easy enough and hardened up well over most of the repair but there are a few small blotches where the gel did not set up. These blotches appear wet, and are still tacky even after 24 hours. 90% of the surface is set. Should I wait some more, or did I do something wrong in the prep that is preventing the gel from setting?  Lay up for the repair was balsa core, glass, 5 to 1 resin (Total Boat) surface filler where needed of resin and West 410 followed by much sanding and many wipedowns. 

If epoxy is not prepared properly prior to applying gel coat it can cause problems with the gel coat.  The process is; after the epoxy has cured, wash with water and scrub with a scotchbrite pad and rinse clean.  Let dry.  Sand to desired smoothness.  Clean well with acetone, then apply the gel coat.  I'd suggest clean the wet areas with acetone to remove it.  Wash that area with water incase there is an amine blush left (acetone will not remove it).  Sand, clean well again with acetone, then apply gel coat.  

Thanks, it is what I expected. After washing, sanding, and wiping done I spotted a few imperfections that warranted a dash of filler. After which I sanded, wiped and applied gel neglecting a proper water/scrub down.  (I got greedy, and have a race scheduled for next week.) Haste makes waste. Now I'm re-doing it and to heck with the race.