Wildmountain

Failed Fiberglass repair on Canoe

7 posts in this topic

I just made a repair on a 6 x 8 inch hole in a fiberglass Old Town Canoe. Worked long and hard at preparation. Hours on a custom paint job too. When I moved the boat outside, the patch popped. I pulled at the popped edge and the glass all the way to the inside came off. What happend?

Please help.

Bill

Hard to say what happened without more details on how you did the repair.  How did you prepare the fiberglass around the edges of the hole?  What products did you use to do the patch?  Is the canoe actually fiberglass and gel coat or is it Royalex (polyethylene)?

Rick thank you for answering both my questions. The other one in bottom paint. 

Royalex is plastic, correct? Or similar. 

My canoe is not with me currently. I will take a pic or two and get back to you with details. Thank you.

Bill

On 9/23/2017 at 7:41 AM, Wildmountain said:

Rick thank you for answering both my questions. The other one in bottom paint. 

Royalex is plastic, correct? Or similar. 

My canoe is not with me currently. I will take a pic or two and get back to you with details. Thank you.

Bill

So here are two pictures of my failed repair. One shows clearly, the layer of 3M Marine Premium Filler that I used to fair in the repair. I didn't want the Fiberglass cloth to overlap the edge of the hole because then it would be impossible to make it "undetectable". Perhaps it is because of this that the interior layer of Fiberglass Cloth and the exterior layer may not have boded? The interior was done first, let dry then the exterior. I used West System 205.

Suggestions?

IMG_3728.jpg

IMG_3729.jpg

Thanks for the pictures.

You will need to grind down the edges of the hole to bevel it out so you can lay up fiberglass cloth.  Cut some 6 oz cloth slightly larger than the hole, and a few more with each one larger than the previous to fill the hole to the thickness of the hull.  Use West System GFlex epoxy to wet out the fiberglass.  First use a torch and heat the hull where you will be applying the epoxy, careful not to melt it, just a few quick passes over the area.  Wet out the fiberglass and apply the smallest piece first, then the next larger until you fill to the hull thickness.  I would do this from the inside to minimize the amount of fairing required on the outside prior to paint.

Wow Rick, thank you for that information. So work everything from the INSIDE. OK. I am not sure what the thickness of my cloth is so will probably run down to my local Boatyard and ask for some scrap 6oz. Thank you again. Actually, you know, I will order my GFlex from you and if you have small quantities of Cloth, that too. Your customer service here on the Interweb is fantastic. What a service. 

I have posted on Bottom Paint for my Dyer. I'd like to send you some Pictures of the Flaking in the Cabin and Cockpit to find out if I just paint or will need to learn how to work with Gelcoat. 

Thank you again.

Bill