• Announcements

• skiptabor

The future of the JD Forum   07/31/18

Thank you all for your participation on the JD Forums.  We have enjoyed answering your questions, providing project advice and technical assistance on this forum for a number of years. We believe that there are now better ways to provide this service for our customers and the community. With that in mind, we have made the difficult decision to discontinue the Jamestown Distributors Forum.   Our JD Tech Team is committed to being your trusted technical resource, and we encourage you to reach out via email, phone, social, product reviews, and to post questions using the Q & A 'Ask A Question' function on all product pages. Additional information can also be found on product page Technical Data Sheets (including detailed usage instructions and application data).   Thank You Jamestown Distributors 
ctmtb

Aluminum pitting and repair

6 posts in this topic

Regarding my 1988 - 18 ft aluminum Grumman dual console. Someone had bottom painted it years ago and kept it in salt water. When I got it, the bottom paint was bubbling and peeling. I stripped it down to bare metal and there's pitting and a couple larger gaps in the riveted seems. Can you recommend a process/products to repair this? I use the boat only in salt water, but trailer it and rinse after every use.

Photos of boat

Sand down to bright aluminum and coat the bottom with Gluvit epoxy coating, then when dry you can apply a copper free bottom paint like Totalboat Krypton.

On 10/30/2017 at 4:59 PM, RickW said:

Sand down to bright aluminum and coat the bottom with Gluvit epoxy coating, then when dry you can apply a copper free bottom paint like Totalboat Krypton.

Thank you - Do I use Gluvit on just the rivets and seams or the whole bottom? And after the Gluvit do I need to use a primer before the final coat?

To overcoat Gluvit after cure, wash the surface with warm soapy water or a dilute vinegar solution and a fine abrasive pad, or wet sand, then dry with clean towels or cloth. Frost-sand surface with 80-100 grit sandpaper to remove any gloss. Gluvit can be overcoated with any marine paint or other coating compatible with epoxies. Polyester resins, such as gelcoat, do not adhere well to epoxy material.

We always using a primer first on top of an epoxy coating prior to painting.

If there is pitting on the surface it would be best to apply Gluvit over that, may just be easier to paint the whole bottom.

Questions for both of you, as I have exact same situation.

what product did you use to strip off old paint? How well did it work? Would you use it again, or search for better?

i don't quite follow your answer to ctmtb's question about primer. Please correct or confirm, plus suggest per the following:

1. Strip off old paint--suggest product

2. Sand to remove corrosion--suggest grit, and tips

3. Use Gluvit on entire bottom to seal--if I have no holes, cracks, or deep pitting, will I still require Gluvit? Or is Gluvit a good idea, regardless?

4. Prime-- yes or no? If yes, suggested product?

5. Paint--I will not be in salt water, will trailer some, will leave in slip some, live on Kentucky Lake in west Tennessee. Please suggest paint

6. Please detail any required steps in between 2 and 3, 3 and 4, 4 and 5.

please pardon my detail, but this is all totally new to me, I have zero experience in this regard.

thanks