curious traveler

Bottom Paint over Awlgrip

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

I recently purchased a boat that was completely repainted with Awlgrip Snow White.  I need to paint the bottom with antifouling/ablative paint.  Is there a need to add a coat of primer or barrier coat before the paint or is the Awlgrip sufficient? 

Thanks

If the boat is going to stay in the water more than a day or two then you will need to apply an antifouling bottom paint.  Awlgrip on the bottom of the boat will blister and fail if left in the water more than a few days.  You will need to protect that finish if you are going to apply a bottom paint.  Sand the bottom with 80 grit to scuff it up and apply 3 to 5 coats of a barrier coat primer like Totalboat Total Protect or Interlux 2000E.  Follow the instructions for the barrier coat and then apply 2 coats of bottom paint.

Thanks Rick.  I had no idea Awlgrip was that sensitive to being in the water.  I put her in the water yesterday and planned to pull her out next week to pain the bottom but sounds like this is a bad idea.  

Think a quart is enough of the barrier coat and bottom paint for a 16' Wahoo?

RIck, 

I ordered all the paint but now the weather hasn't cooperated so I have all winter to think about this project. 

How much do I need to sand the bottom?  Am I completely removing the Awlgrip and scuffing up the fiberglass hull?  Or am I just scuffing up the awlgrip?  Soap/water to clean after sanding or acetone?  

Thanks for the help

A good sanding with 80 grit so that it is all abraded even if it removes some of it is what you want, then 4 to 5 coats of barrier coat and 2 coats of bottom paint.

After sanding vacuum or blow off the dust, clean well with denatured alcohol then start the barrier coats.