Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tristan

Restoring Walker Bay dinghy

2 posts in this topic

Greetings from the deep South. Have mercy folks; rookie grandpa here! I bought a second hand Walker Bay dinghy to rejuvenate for my grand kids. The polypropylene hull was scratched up, but nothing severe. So I'm smoothing out the rough spots in anticipation of painting the lower hull. My local West Marine dealer advised a quart of Neptune 5 to do the job. Some basic questions: Do I need a primer (there is no previous finish) or a pre-coat which will help with adhesion? What grit paper for the final prep? Any other cautions or precautions greatly appreciated!

Dan 

Polypropylene is very difficult to get paint to stick to it.  The surface must be very clean.  Clean the surface well with soap and water, let dry.  Scuff the surface with 80 grit sand paper, clean well with denatured alcohol.   Gently heat plastic with propane torch until surface looks oily.  Clean again with denatured alcohol.  Paint with a two part polyurethane primer like Totalboat Total Protect or Interlux 2000E  two coats, when dry, sand with 80 grit and apply 2 coats of bottom paint.