Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lane47

electric
Using a meter?

2 posts in this topic

I'm in the process of correcting some shortcomings of previous owner of my Starcraft SF 14 LLW.

I am challenged by my lack of electrical knowledge, so you are welcome to laugh at this question.

i have several wires coming from the battery area, forward, to (2) switches, and a bus bar.

how do I use a meter to determine the positive wires from the negative wires? As I understand, the switches should be either positive or negative, correct? If this is correct, where does the running lights (1) switch, or live well pump (1) switch, pick up negative? The bilge pump is wired direct, its wiring is obvious. The fish finder, plus positioning locator feed from bus bar.

I'm not a marine electrician but can tell you how to test for positive or negative.  If you have a main battery switch turn it on.  Use a multimeter set to DC current.  Place the black lead to a know ground and the other to one of the wires you're testing.  If there is no reading it could be a negative, if it reads 12 volts it's a positive wire.  Check the bus bar to see if it is wired as a common ground.  If so the grounds would go from the bus bar directly to each device.  The positive will go from the feed to a switch and then to the device so that when the switch is off the device has no power.