Lane47

Painting bottom on Starcraft 14 SF

6 posts in this topic

I have my Starcraft upside down, and in the garage. 

I need to know best method / process to remove the current waterline and below, and make it shiny and new. I live in Tennessee, on Kentucky Lake, boat stays on trailer 80%, at dock, in slip 20%, not on a lift, in the water. Boat's previous owner lived in NY, boat had some salt water exposure. I have pictures, can take more, will post.

please input as needed:

Should I :

1. Strip off old paint, and corrosion?---suggest product, process

or

2. Sand off old paint and corrosion--suggest grit sizes, I know the process, but tips welcome.

I plan to go down to bare metal, don't know if necessary, but I will.

Currently the boat does not leak, but paint and corrosion removal may create pinholes, so next step should be?

3. Use Gluvit on entire bottom to seal--if I have no holes, cracks, or deep pitting, will I still require Gluvit? Or is Gluvit a good idea, regardless?

4. Prime-- yes or no? If yes, suggested product?

5. Paint---- Please suggest paint, roll or brush, or does it matter?

6. Please detail any required steps that I left out due to my lack of experience.

please pardon my detail, but this is all totally new to me, I have zero experience in this regard, but ability, and time, plus no local shop to do it for me!

thanks

Lane Douglas

tried to load pictures, will continue to try.

IMG_1155.jpg

IMG_1151.jpg

Edited by Lane47
Pictures added

i would sand with 80 grit to remove the pitting and paint down to bright aluminum.  Clean well with denatured alcohol.  Then apply Totalboat Etch Wash, let sit for 5 minutes and rinse off with water, let dry.  Chances are some of those pits will be fairly deep if not all the way through when sanded. If all the way through fill with Totalboat Aluminum Boat Sealer (Thixo).  Then I'd coat the whole bottom Gluvit then apply a bottom paint.

Here is the instructions for overcoating the Gluvit:

To overcoat Gluvit after cure, wash the surface with warm soapy water or a dilute vinegar solution and a fine abrasive pad, or wet sand, then dry with clean towels or cloth. Frost-sand surface with 80-100 grit sandpaper to remove any gloss. Gluvit can be overcoated with any marine paint or other coating compatible with epoxies. Polyester resins, such as gelcoat, do not adhere well to epoxy material.

I'd recommend priming first with Totalboat Total Protect barrier coat primer, when it is thumb tacky apply the first coat of bottom paint.  I'd recommend our copper free Totalboat Krypton bottom paint, apply 2 coats.

I found a marina that water sand blasts boats to remove corrosion and or below water line buildup.

my Starcraft bottom is now clean, but not smooth. The bottom has a texture similar to very fine sand paper, not slick though like it would be if sanded, or buffed.

is this the best condition for primer, or should I sand the now clean (no paint or corrosion) until smooth?

i do plan to apply Gluvit to seams, rivets, any pitting, and know how to prep those areas prior to priming.

Thanks 

Since aluminum oxidizes in air, I would sand with 80 grit to a bright finish just before applying epoxy or primer.