Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rvseverson

Painting RV Fiberglass Roof

4 posts in this topic

I have a 45' Motorhome with a thin (1/16" - 3/32" ) fiberglass sheet for a roof covering.  It is oxidized and dusting so I'm pretty sure that the gelcoat is gone.

What would you recommend for painting?  Durability is my first priority.  I want this done right to last "forever".   

Thanks,  Robert

As far as I know, nothing lasts forever except death and taxes.  That said, the longest lasting solution would be to re-gel-coat the top.  Clean well with soap and water, sand with 80 to 120 grit and roll on another coat of gel-coat.

Thanks for the response.   I've been reading & searching the forums and thought that Top Side Paint fairs better than gelcoat?  Especially against UV?

Your thoughts?

Topside paints especially 2 part polyurethanes are very good and will last 10 plus years.  If not kept clean and waxed they will fade and oxidize.  Gel coat is harder and will last longer especially if waxed.  I know you probably won't be going on the roof to clean and apply wax.  Your choice, both will work for a relatively long time.