• Announcements

• skiptabor

The future of the JD Forum   07/31/18

Thank you all for your participation on the JD Forums.  We have enjoyed answering your questions, providing project advice and technical assistance on this forum for a number of years. We believe that there are now better ways to provide this service for our customers and the community. With that in mind, we have made the difficult decision to discontinue the Jamestown Distributors Forum.   Our JD Tech Team is committed to being your trusted technical resource, and we encourage you to reach out via email, phone, social, product reviews, and to post questions using the Q & A 'Ask A Question' function on all product pages. Additional information can also be found on product page Technical Data Sheets (including detailed usage instructions and application data).   Thank You Jamestown Distributors 
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jallen76

Varnish and Paint

3 posts in this topic

I'm building my first boat, a 16' stitch-and-glue kayak, and have a question regarding the finish.  The entire hull will be fiber glassed.  I would like to paint the waterline with Wet Edge and the rest of the boat with varnish. What should my process be?  Should I apply the wet edge and then varnish over top of it, should I varnish then paint over the varnish, or should I mask and split the two?  Also as some one new to the whole boat building thing, should I use Gleam or Lust varnish?

Thanks

You would mask off where the waterline is going to be and apply multiple coats of varnish, I'd recommend the Gleam Gloss, much easier to use than Lust.  Once the varnish is fully cured (wait at least 5 days), mask that off for the waterline paint.  Prime with Totalboat Total Protect Epoxy Primer, then apply two to three thin coats of Wet Edge topside paint for the waterline.

Here is a link to our video of applying primer and wet edge on a stripe on our kayak build:  

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0