• Announcements

• skiptabor

The future of the JD Forum   07/31/18

Thank you all for your participation on the JD Forums.  We have enjoyed answering your questions, providing project advice and technical assistance on this forum for a number of years. We believe that there are now better ways to provide this service for our customers and the community. With that in mind, we have made the difficult decision to discontinue the Jamestown Distributors Forum.   Our JD Tech Team is committed to being your trusted technical resource, and we encourage you to reach out via email, phone, social, product reviews, and to post questions using the Q & A 'Ask A Question' function on all product pages. Additional information can also be found on product page Technical Data Sheets (including detailed usage instructions and application data).   Thank You Jamestown Distributors 
KLUGMO

Delicate Application

4 posts in this topic

I have a project that requires clear matte sprayable epoxy. I am spraying actual tree bark. I need the strength 

of the epoxy to hold the delicate bark and reach the nooks and crannys. Any opinions?

According to West Systems, we do not recommend spraying epoxy products because the health and safety risks are enormous. As epoxy leaves a spray gun nozzle, it is reduced to tiny droplets (spray mist). You can easily inhale epoxy that is suspended in the air. It can cause extensive lung damage and other health problems.

The spray mist can settle on your skin, causing sensitization and allergic reactions. It can settle on your eyes, injuring them. Compared to other application methods, spraying increases the amount of hazardous volatile components released from the epoxy. Using solvents to thin the epoxy for spraying adds to the health and safety risks. These hazards are similar to those of any spray painting operation, involving both health and flammability concerns.

If you are determined to spray epoxy, control hazardous vapor and spray mist by using isolation and enclosure, such as a properly designed, ventilated and filtered spray booth. In any case, if you spray epoxy, you must use an air-supplied respirator and full-body protective clothing.

Thanks Rick,

WOW That's more involved than I want to be in applying a coat on some bark. I just didn't want to be wasteful of product. 

Dipping or brushing on wont work either. I will rethink my bark application on the project.

Thanks again

Take a look at our Totalboat Clear Penetrating Epoxy.  It is a low viscosity epoxy that will penetrate and seal the bark and wood.  It can be brushed on and may work for your application.