Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rahbaba

Which Primer over Epoxy?

2 posts in this topic

I have a wooden, 14' row boat that has been stripped of all it's old paint, and sanded.  I coated the whole inside of the hull with Totalboat Penetrating epoxy, and on the outside of the hull I covered with West Epoxy and fiberglass.  Now I'm ready to start applying primer paint to both inside and outside.  I want to make sure that the wood hull is completely protected from water, and the paint is tough enough, so that's why I was thinking to use epoxy primer.

I was thinking to use Interlux Epoxy Primekote to cover the inside, and  Interlux 2000-E Epoxy primer for the outside of the hull.   What is the main difference between these two epoxy primers?   Could I use the TotalBoat Epoxy primer for all surfaces inside and outside?

Is this overkill, and too much epoxy paint, or could I just use regular topside primer instead of the epoxy?    I have washed off any amine-blush, and sanded smooth all surfaces.  After the primer I plan to use either Brightside Poly paint or WetEdge poly paint, but I'm unsure if either of these topside polyurethene paints are compatible with the epoxy primer?  Would you recommend a 2-part poly finish paint, or just single part poly?

You can apply Totalboat 2 part Epoxy Primer both inside and outside and below the waterline.  You always want to apply a primer on top of epoxy for the best adhesion.  The Interlux primekote is only for above the waterline.  You could use Interlux 2000E for both.  The 2 part epoxy primer is a good primer for either Brightside, Wet Edge or any 2 part polyurethane paint.  The 2 part poly will last longer but is much more expensive.

Rahbaba likes this