• Announcements

• skiptabor

The future of the JD Forum   07/31/18

Thank you all for your participation on the JD Forums.  We have enjoyed answering your questions, providing project advice and technical assistance on this forum for a number of years. We believe that there are now better ways to provide this service for our customers and the community. With that in mind, we have made the difficult decision to discontinue the Jamestown Distributors Forum.   Our JD Tech Team is committed to being your trusted technical resource, and we encourage you to reach out via email, phone, social, product reviews, and to post questions using the Q & A 'Ask A Question' function on all product pages. Additional information can also be found on product page Technical Data Sheets (including detailed usage instructions and application data).   Thank You Jamestown Distributors 
mcguiremade

Epoxy / Gelcoat Project Advice

1 post in this topic

I'm working on an outdoor sculpture that is going to be installed outside in Iowa for one to three years. The design is being carved out of EPS foam, and I was interested in using TotalBoat epoxy and GelCoat, but I have a couple of questions. 

Can I apply TotalBoat Epoxy directly to EPS foam without melting issues similar to Fiberglass resin? 

Does white GelCoat need to be painted or will the white color be unaffected by the weather and sun? 

Do I need to cover the foam with a fiberglass material before applying the epoxy or can I use the Epoxy directly on the foam? 

What would be the best combinations of TotalBoat products to make sure it is durable enough to be mounted on a wall, be weather resistant, and shiny like a waxed car? 

I was thinking Epoxy Resin, then GelCoat, then a final layer of High-Performance Epoxy to make it extra shiny or could I get by simply GelCoating the EPS foam and finishing it off with High-Performance Epoxy.

Sorry for all the questions. Let me know if it would be easier to chat on the phone.