sprogk

Keel Bow eye Stainless Plate Adhesive

3 posts in this topic

Hi Guys

I am new to the forum. I need some advice PLEASE. I have damage on my 20ft bass boat just above the bow eye. It seems like it was caused by the front trailer roller. When trailing the boat the roller rest's on that damaged area. (roller rest exactly in the chipped away area on the keel)

I have attached pictures of the damage on the keel and of a bow eye stainless plate that I need to form to the keel using a rubber mallet. 

I was told I can fill that hole with 3M 5200 and stick a stainless steel bow eye protection plate over the area that rest on the trailer roller.  My question is can I use 3M 5200 for filling that chipped away area and stick on the stainless plate? Or is there another adhesive I should consider for the job? Will the 3M 5200 be strong enough to hold the stainless plate there forever? Please advise.

Etienne (from Michigan)

IMG_1905.JPG

IMG_5096.jpg

IMG_5097.jpg

I would recommend cleaning the area to attach the plate first with a dewaxer, tape off and scuff sand with 80 grit, dewax clean again, then use our Totalboat Thixo Thickened epoxy cartridge and apply to the plate with a notched spreader.  Place it on the hull and secure until it cures, usually 12 hours at 65 degrees.  You can use the same thixo to fill the gouges first and sand smooth before applying the plate.