• Announcements

• skiptabor

The future of the JD Forum   07/31/18

Thank you all for your participation on the JD Forums.  We have enjoyed answering your questions, providing project advice and technical assistance on this forum for a number of years. We believe that there are now better ways to provide this service for our customers and the community. With that in mind, we have made the difficult decision to discontinue the Jamestown Distributors Forum.   Our JD Tech Team is committed to being your trusted technical resource, and we encourage you to reach out via email, phone, social, product reviews, and to post questions using the Q & A 'Ask A Question' function on all product pages. Additional information can also be found on product page Technical Data Sheets (including detailed usage instructions and application data).   Thank You Jamestown Distributors 
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rhodes777

Refinish Cabin Sole

3 posts in this topic

I have an 1988 grand banks and the cabin sole is in dire need of attention.  The previous owner stripped the original finish and applied water base polyeurethane.  I want to refinish the cabin sole so it looks like the original gloss amber finish so it matches the forward and aft cabins.  So threads I have read recommend a two coat epoxy base followed by three coats of varnish.  Can you please advise how I can return the cabin sole to its original look yet provide good durability?  Thanks 

As indicated in the above video, remove the existing old varnish being careful not to sand through the veneer if it is a veneer.  Clean well and start with a gloss varnish like Epifanes clear gloss, or Pettit Captains or Totalboat Gleam.  Thin first coat 50%, second coat 25% then the rest just enough to get it to flow well.  Apply 6 to eight coats sanding between coats once it is dry.  You can switch to a satin on the final 2 coats if you want a satin finish.  Follow the tips on the above video.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0