Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CaptainCronos

Hatch Replacement

5 posts in this topic

I am replacing an old hatch and 1) need to fill in the old screw and bolt holes and 2) most importantly, straighten the edges so that all the new screws can have something to grip. It seems whoever cut the old hatch, used a jigsaw after drinking a six-pack (or two) so there isn't a straight section to be found on any of the 4 sides. They ended up using plywood strips or trim to "cover their error" and bolting those down so they had something to screw the hatch down.  The seat is 1/4 laminated fiberglass with no wood, no fillers, no stringers.

I thought about installing the hatch edge/trim upside down from under the seat and filling the holes/gaps with fairing epoxy, however not sure how strong that would be or if it would do the trick. I welcome any and all ideas at this point. I'm sure I'm not the first to have this problem.

Thanks.

I would recommend using a thickened epoxy like Totalboat Thixo rather than a fairing compound, that would be stronger.

Would the Thixo be used to fill just the holes or can I use it to extend the existing edging with it too? Bear with me, I've never really worked on fixing fiberglass. 

The Thixo is fine for a gap filler or adhesive but to extend the edge you would need to add some fiberglass cloth and resin for structural strength.  Fiberglass cloth and regular epoxy resin would be what you want to use.