Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DavidS

Bottom paint for fiberglass fishing boat

2 posts in this topic

I imagine this question is asked often but with the cost of paint I really want to ensure that I have selected the correct products.  I have a 12’ fiberglass fishing boat badly in need of paint.  This boat will only be in the water while in use, always in fresh water, and sitting on a trailer at all other times.  The research that I have done seems to indicate that a topside paint would be acceptable since the boat will not be in the water for any extended period of time.

I would appreciate your recommendations for a suitable primer, paint and thinner.  Based on feedback from others it looks like either TotalBoat Wet Edge Topside or Interlux Brightside would be my best bet.  Thanks in advance for your advice.

If it was previously painted, you will want to sand that with 220 grit and prime, then the topside paint.  If it's gelcoat, you will want to clean it well, sand with 220 grit, dewax with a dewaxing solvent, then prime with a two part epoxy primer.  If you choose Brightside use the Interlux primer.  If you choose Wet Edge use the Totalboat primer.