Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JDFAQBot

3M Scotch-Brite Pads : Do I use these pads to flat sand high build varnish in preparation for the finish coast of gloss varnish ? Thanks Jeff

4 posts in this topic

I use these to scuff varnish, interestingly on acrylic coated canvas fine art prints which is quite a bit different from furniture or boats. They will scuff your coat to give it a small amount of tooth for a final finish, but they are not going to flat sand in the same way wet sanding does with regular sand paper. I use them both wet and dry but usually wet. The auto body people use these if that helps with what they do. For a very fine scuffing using paper, Jamestown sells very, very fine 3M sandpaper. I use 2000 grit. The scuff pads are quite flexible and easy to use however. Doyne Loyd (Margaret is my wife) I am not supposed to include links but if you want to see what I mean by canvas prints you can go to our website via a search.

3M Scotch Brite Pads are used by lots of people to prep varnish work. They are easy to use and have good longevity. You need to be careful though. Scotch Brite pads can be too aggressive and will remove more material than you want. You mention using them in preparation for a Final coat -- certainly this could work but you would want to use them very lightly. A better choice might be a higher grit sandpaper.

Jeff,

I really like the red pads for roughing up a good varnished surface when doing maintenance coats.  For bare wood, I use a thick varnish to built up layers using only red scotch bright  between coats.  I do 5-8 coats this way, then flat sand with 220 and apply two more coats. works great.

The 3M pads are good for de-glossing, because they are flexible they will not level a finish. They are very aggressive and should be used with a light touch. They tend to shed and will require vacuuming to assure the coat is clean.

Vac, tack and wet wipe with thinner then apply the next coat