Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JDFAQBot

Pettit Trinidad SR Antifouling Bottom Paint : i live in the northeast newbedford mass in the trinidad sr the best hard paint for my area of do recommend another type of paint thanks ? ed

7 posts in this topic

Ed, don't know why Jamestown sent this to me since I live in the SE, (Georgia). Anyway, I have my boat in a fresh water lake year round. In the summer, slime accumulates but is easily brushed or rinsed off. During the colder months little slime accumulates. Jimmy

I use Trinidad SR and only have to paint the bottom once every two years. The boat is taken out of the water for the winter. never had any marine growth on the bottom.

I have consistently used Pettit Trinidad, both regular and SR, for the past 10-15 years. It is the best bottom paint I have found and I rely on it. Although I live on Cheseapeake Bay in a meso-haline body of water, I have also had my boat (a 1969 Luders 33) with lots of wetted surface below the waterline in tropical waters in the Southeast and Florida. We can leave our boats in the water all year here on the Chesapeake. I generally paint the bottom every three years. The SR version does keep down the algal growth and other fuzzy stuff.

Hi EdMy name is Scott Sinclair, I have usede the Pettit Trinidad SR BT paint for the last 6yrs or so. I fish in PugetSound & S.E.Alaska, I leave my boat in the water year around and it does'nt slime up or develop any growth. Highly reccommend.

I can only speak of Florida and the Caribbean as far south as Grenada. I apply two coats of Trinidad and it generally has no growth for the first two years, thereafter some scrubbing is involved, but is still fair for a third and sometimes fourth year. I use the red because the toxin content is highest of all the colors.

I have used this Trinidad Antifouling paint twice now in the last 3 years.Highly recommend it for where I am in Lake Mi. I found I don't need to use it every year just add to what I have after light sanding/powerwash.Boat stay in water from April to Oct each year and then hauled out for winter.This Antifouling paint was also used by the previous owner in Florida near Miami and there was some growth when boat was hauled that easily washed off with powerwasher. I used same paint to prevent any potential bonding issues.Steve35 ft Cabo Express

One assumes that you haul out every winter since you are in New Bedford. Thus, a multi-season paint designed for warmer waters might be overkill. I keep my boat in Narragansett By and haul out every fall. I use TotalBoat JD Select on my boat. I leave her in for a long season (May thru Sept.) and in August usually pay a young diver to do a bottom job and replace shaft zincs, usually there is only light growth, basically slime at that time. Waters in the bay here have warmed some so I might move to a stronger antifouling if need be, but since I haul and then roll on fresh ablative AF every spring, there seems to be little need in my opinion for such  costly paint up in these waters with only seasonal immersion. I also prefer an ablative paint. Even with a single seasonal bottom job at around $60 for the job, I save plenty of money. The JD Select does a great job. If I plan to take her south some time, I will upgrade my paint choice accordingly.