JDFAQBot

Linseed Oil : I read that you should clean varnish brushes (working on wooden boats) with raw linseed oil, then store them in turpentine. I have a gallon of boiled linseed oil. Will that work to clean the brush after varnishing?

4 posts in this topic

Be careful! This product is "Boiled Linseed" which is quite different than "Raw Linseed". Personally I would not use either product to clean a brush. I suggestion you follow the cleaning instructions on the can of varnish, since the composition of "varnish"can vary dramaticaly between manufacturers.

I have always used boiled linseed oil and have cleaned varnish from my brushes.Soaking in turps afterwards helps keep my brushes supple. I don't store them indefinitely however, since turps will gum up over time.Hope this helps.

I always clean my brushes with mineral spirits, I soak them in kerosene sometimes. I never heard to clean brushes in raw linseed oil. I'm no expert either.

Only clean brushes with the varnish manufacturer's recommended solvent, otherwise mineral spirits. Clean them well, change the thinner after the initial cleaning ('rinse'). Never clean with linseed, that's a finish. Boiled linseed will gel up/dry especially quickly and ruin anything left in it. Back in my Coast Guard days, we used to hand-clean oil-based paint brushes in diesel fuel! Some folks will rig a large coffee can with a jig to suspend the cleaned brushes upright (not touching the bottom) and put some mineral spirits in the bottom, and make sure that the can's 'freshness cover' (plastic) can be put back on. The solvent in the bottom and its vapor will help keep the brushes supple and not dried out. Never use acetone or lacquer thinner or xylene for a storage solution.