Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JDAnswerBot

Norton Adalox 9x11 Sandpaper Sheets : like to know which sandpaper is best to use for removing as much varnish by hand from hardwood floors? Need a sandpaper that does not clog, remains sharp and good enough to go through 3 layers oil poly finish. I

2 posts in this topic

Stripping a whole floor? Sounds like a mighty big job for hand sanding! If stripping 3 layers of oil-poly varnish, and not wanting to rent a heavy machine for the stripping, I would start with a chemical stripper. You will have to read labels and experiment to find the right/best chemical to use. I would use a flat bladed (putty-knife style) scraper to pick up the stripper gunk, and then a hook scraper (red devil or equivalent) to remove and smooth the stripping residue. Some strippers recommend washing with steel wool, if so you won't need to use the hook scraper. The trick with hook scrapers and cabinet scrapers is to keep them very sharp, sharpen frequently! Now you are ready for sandpaper, starting with 100, then 120 and then 150. If you insist on hand sanding rather than a RO power sander, then use a soft pad and block to get even pressure on the whole sheet. This will extend the life of your paper. Finally, to answer your original question of WHICH brand and grade, I like the Norton Adalox or the 3M production paper as a good compromise between price and durability. We maintain boats with lots of bright finishes using the techniques and products above.

I would use a heat gun and a carbide tipped scraper for removing most of the material.

80 grit to even it out and remove any issues.

then 120. It is a floor, there's no need to go beyond 120.