• Announcements

• skiptabor

The future of the JD Forum   07/31/18

Thank you all for your participation on the JD Forums.  We have enjoyed answering your questions, providing project advice and technical assistance on this forum for a number of years. We believe that there are now better ways to provide this service for our customers and the community. With that in mind, we have made the difficult decision to discontinue the Jamestown Distributors Forum.   Our JD Tech Team is committed to being your trusted technical resource, and we encourage you to reach out via email, phone, social, product reviews, and to post questions using the Q & A 'Ask A Question' function on all product pages. Additional information can also be found on product page Technical Data Sheets (including detailed usage instructions and application data).   Thank You Jamestown Distributors 
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JDFAQBot

Smiths Cold CPES Epoxy : would the CPES be the "right stuff" to apply on a grab rails of a sailboat. They have been treated with something in the past, but I am not sure what... I think it looks like Cetol but they are in tough shape since

4 posts in this topic

Smiths will soak in and toughen any wood, after it is FULLY cured it can be painted or varnished.Any wood exposed to weather can benefit from an initial treatment. I have used on everyrhing from the sides of my 1942 Chris Craft to the plywood floor in my Airstream trailer.

Hard to tell. Here's the issues. If the surface of the wood is checked then using this wont help. You'll need a regular epoxy then fill the cracks. Of you're just looking to harden the surface Smith will work but even then, that will depend on what had been applied earlier. If it was oil of some kind, no epoxy will stick. So. For surface repairs , making it smoother , might work if its not oily. If you're trying to increase the strength of the wood, don't do it. You don't want handrails failing while you're sailing. Hope that helps , sorry I can't be more specific but I don't have much info to work on

KevinWhat type of wood? What would you like it to look like finished? My dad liked weathered, grey teak. I liked bright teak. I worked hard while my dad watched with a beer in hand. CPES could help depending on wood & desired outcome

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0