• Announcements

• skiptabor

The future of the JD Forum   07/31/18

Thank you all for your participation on the JD Forums.  We have enjoyed answering your questions, providing project advice and technical assistance on this forum for a number of years. We believe that there are now better ways to provide this service for our customers and the community. With that in mind, we have made the difficult decision to discontinue the Jamestown Distributors Forum.   Our JD Tech Team is committed to being your trusted technical resource, and we encourage you to reach out via email, phone, social, product reviews, and to post questions using the Q & A 'Ask A Question' function on all product pages. Additional information can also be found on product page Technical Data Sheets (including detailed usage instructions and application data).   Thank You Jamestown Distributors 
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JDFAQBot

Norton Grinding & Sharpening Wheels : can you use the fine grit wheel stone to take out scratches in knife blade?

2 posts in this topic

Grinding wheels are normally used for removing a lot of metal fast. A fine grit wheel will leave you with a smoother finish, but also increases the chance of burning the metal (turning it blue). For scratches on the side of a flat ground knife, I would use sandpaper placed on a flat surface like a table saw. While holding the end of the paper with one hand, slide the blade across going from the edge to the back of the blade. Start with 220 grit wet/dry paper or emry cloth and go up from there for the desired shine. A hollow ground blade can be cleaned up by placing the knife in a vise, be sure to protect the handle with a rag, and using the same 220 paper by hand and rubbing in the same direction as the existing machine marks. The blade edge should always be pointing away from your hand.An alternative would be a buffing wheel with the rouge of your choice. Start with light pressure and keep the blade moving to ensure a consistent finish. Be sure the edge of the blade is facing away from the rotation of the wheel. This method can give you a mirror finish and will work on a flat blade too. As with a grinding wheel, things can happen fast so go easy and check your progress often.Regardless of the method you choose, Jamestown should have what you need.Be sure to wear your safety gear, face shield, safety glasses, etc., when operating power tools.Good Luck

Based iOn my experience with chisels and turning tools, i dont think so. A fine wheel will give a smooth grind but it will have discernible grinding marks. I would suggest using fine carborundum or progressively finer emery cloth/ auto finishing sandpaper, irking up to 1200 grit. You might also look at micro abrasives fom another source

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0