Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JDFAQBot

Norton RapidStrip Wire Brush : I HAVE TO TAKE OFF OLD VARNISH FROM THE INSIDE OF MY LYMAN WOOD BOAT. WOULD THIS BE OK TO USE?

7 posts in this topic

I would be very careful in using this on wood...while was using this on metal and did not find it agressive enough for the old epoxy (although it worked great for taking the old paint off my rudder), I would be very concerned about it being too aggressive for wood. It could really dig out the soft part of the grain.From my experience with old varnish, a (cheap) heat gun and a sharp scrapper is the quickest, safest (for the wood) and cleanest method. Good luck,

NO! I've used the brush for stripping paint from metal....it's way too rough for wood. It cut and gouged the wood I used it on very badly. The best way to remove old varnish I've found is an old Black and Decker heat gun that has a scraper blade that attaches to the end of the gun. If you use heat gun, use a really good scraper and heavy gloves. Follow with a light hand sanding, and you can re-varnish or paint.If you have a way of rinsing, you could try a chemical stripper instead of the heat gun.The old varnish rapidly clogs sandpaper or stripper wheels. If they are so coarse they don't clog (like the Norton) then they tear up the wood.

dont use this to stip Varnish if you intend to re varnish afterward as it will do severe damage to the wood that will require a lot of follow up prep work, bettter to use a heat gun and scraper or chemical stripper.

Another product I used with great success on my teak/holly floor boards was the Circa 1850 Furniture Stripper. It cuts through old varich/polyurethane well and leave the surface very clean. If you have a lot of varinish to remove I would heat gun and scrape it, then come back for a final clean up with the furniture stripper.Reb

i used it to work on fiberglass. did what i wanted . got me down to the woven matting. old fiberglass - 52yr old boat - so being careful was not too important. have no experiance with wood yet.

It seemed I had limited success removing epoxy paint from my kevlar canoe with this tool. I going to try it again on my canoe. The low speed of the cordless drill was not effective. I had no power at my rented storage garage. Today I applied the RapidStrip wheel to sections of old wooden base board which I am refurbishing for reuse. The wheel does seem to work well on the old varnish. It does not seem to work well unless used at high rpm. I purchased a high speed drill expressly for use with the Rapid Strip wheel. If I read the label on the drill correctly, it can spin up to 2500 rpm. At high rpm, I use the tool lightly on finished wood as it strips the wood very quickly. Lastly, you must be careful on wooden corners. The wire brushes are very stiff and the tool can chew corners if you cross the wood grain.

I have used the Norton RapidStrip Brush to remove paint and barnacles from my outdrives, and works extremely well. This is a very harsh / abrasive brush I think if used carefully it can remove paint and varnish from wood surfaces, however you are not careful the wood surface could be damaged from the brush.