Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JDFAQBot

Fuller Countersink Set #8 : I am fastening a brass rub rail to a sapele rub rail on my 17' Gartside launch. I need to drill and counter sink the rail. Do you think these cutters are hard enough to cut the brass to counter sink the railing?

6 posts in this topic

Brass being a soft metal you might be able to use these cutters. I would drill a pilot hole first. These cutters are made for wood and you might dull them. You Should also slowly feed the drill bit into the brass to avoid breaking the bit.

Typically non-ferrous metals ( aluminum, brass, bronze ) can be cut but you need to go slowly and use cutting oil. I would also use a pilot hole first. I would think a direct inquiry to Fuller would be in order.

They'd go through 1/4" brass, but would suffer by losing their edge for all future wood cutting. Use a cutter made specifically to cut metal if you don't want other, more common uses to for the rest of your projects.

no I believe that you might cut a few holes if you go slow but the angle they are sharpened at is too steep and they will chip and dull promptly. an Industrial supply store(like Granger) will have metal cutting counter sinks that will fit 1/2" drill with a pilot hole the full size of your fastener you should be able to counter sink by hand and make it look professional.practice a few times on scrape to get a feel.I use to camphor by hand every thread hole on cast iron engine blocks with a counter sink meant for metal.Make sure the angle of the tool matches you fastener and the out side diameter is close to your fasteners.Best of luck